Saturday, September 26, 2009
Long distance Ouma
Yeh that's me ... Ouma -what a blessing but to be so far away from our first grandchild is VERY hard. Adrianna was born on the 31st December 2008 and while we were in the USA. You can imagine the excitement for both families as we welcomed her into our lives. Alas we left to return home when she was just3 weeks old and so we became long distance grandparents. It was extremely hard leaving our American family behind. Once we were checked in I couldn't bring myself to look back. But once again technology has come to my rescue. I never thought I would sit in front of the pc and thank the many people who developed email, Skype etc but here I am thanking them for this blessing. Each week Andre Skype's us and we watch Addy, as she is called, develop into a little person with a bubbly personality. I swear she already knows my voice, but who wouldn't, as she smiles at us from so far away. Andre and Jenelle both work shifts so Andre has a lot to do with her and she obviously loves him. Her little hands are constantly reaching out to touch him as she goes through her whole vocabulary of dadadad, mamama, babababa. He is a very hands on dad as so many of the modern men are and he is enjoying the close relationship that is developing between them. On Friday he Skyped us so that we could watch Addy in her bouncer (jolly jumper) what a sight. Those little legs, so like Andre's when he was young, jumping and jumping for the joy of it. Her little face lit up with excitement. Oh to be right there to give her a hug. She now claps hands when I tell her to and tries to touch the screen. Its so so hard but I'm grateful that Andre realises how very important these times are to us. To those of you blessed enough to be close to your grandchildren enjoy every minute you are close to them. And to those of you, and there are quite a few, who have little ones in distant lands, I feel for you. Grandchildren are such a gift from God. Love to you all
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I have a lump in my throat, it is difficult being far away from loved ones. Enjoy the long distance granny stuff, it's so amazing to think that when your granddaughter comes face to face with you she'll know you so well.
Yes Elenore, thank goodness for skype...at least one can watch them grow in the words of Bette Midlar "From a Distance". There is always a little piece of one missing though. Fiona xxxx
I know it is hard Nor and I feel your pain. She does know who you are though and to her, in this modern age, the situation is normal and she will enjoy the regular interaction she has with you even though it is through a screen. It will be wonderful when you see her again and can give her a giant hug though. Andre is a wonderful dad and you can just see the mutual love and adoration between them. xxx
I am sory I never saw this but better ate than never. I am sure she will know you especially with skype. I have been skyping mum and dad since lily was a baby and she knows them well and talks to them so nicely. sometimes I get frustrated and it does not feel the same as face to face but its something and you are developing a relationship. enjoy it. she looks a cutie. How wonderful that Andre is such a devoted father and loves her so much. Children are indeed a blessing
much love
xx
Post a Comment