Monday, August 10, 2009

Publc Holiday again

One thing about holidays in SA is that sometimes one day gives you two. That is why today, the day after Womens Day, I can once again take time out to do whatever I want. Not that any other day is any different after all I am a pensioner. My time is my own every day. I wanted to let you know what a great day I had yesterday - Womens Day. The economy forces us to cut back on many things, eating out, travelling etc etc. We have all cut down somewhere. We do not drive around just for the fun of it any more as the cost of petrol keeps going up then down a little, but yesterday it was such a lovely day we had to drive out somewhere. There was no wind, glorious sunshine and an urge to leave my knitting and get outside. So.... I persuaded my man to take my sister and me for a drive to the countryside just up the road from where we live. Philadephia and Klipheuvel were on the route always wanted to see them, I don't quite know why but am glad we went. It was great driving through fields of canola which made the hills look as if the sun had landed on them, the young wheat plants stretching up towards the blue sky. What a beautiful part of the world we live in. When we reached Philadephia we parked in the shade under an enormous gum tree and walked to the business centre - the one street with shops. There is a wonderful shop called Magic Minerals which is like an Aladdins cave of beautiful things. The shop and street were filled with people who had obviously discovered this little place of surprises before us. After wandering around the shop for a while we crossed the road to have lunch sitting outside in the courtyard of The Peppertree Art Stable and Coffee Shop. The pepper tree in the name is gigantic with an interesting trunk we heard it is 150 year old. The art gallery and other little shops were so interesting and lovely people who own them. The menu for the day is printed on a blackboard which the waitress willingly carries around to the tables which I might add had all been reserved for lunch. We were extremely lucky to sit at the only table not reserved. Lunch is only ready at 1pm and so we were able to sit and enjoy the passing parade and the free range chickens as they walked around us, stopping every now and again to scratch in the sand. The food was great Roast Lamb and veg. Chicken Pie baby potatoes and Feta and Spinach Pie with veg. A few glasses of refreshment and we were ready to drive back home once again marvelling at the fields around us that looked so healthy. I throughly enjoyed being out and again give thanks that we stay in such a beautiful province. I can't help but wonder why we sometimes miss the treasures that are right on our doorstep. I hope you all had a great time and enjoyed being a woman.

4 comments:

Sue said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous day!! I might need to take Jake out there for lunch sometime soon!!

XXX

Sue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Louise said...

Rowland and I are truly boring in our praise of Cape Town and surrounds. Let's face it, you don't have to leave the province to enjoy 365 days a year of this wonderful place. I'm glad you had such a lovely day and wow!a double whammy of posts, I love to read what you write.

Fiona said...

It sounds like you found a great treasure....I have never even given Philadelphia a thought so we will definitely be giving it a try. Glad you had such a lovely day. Fiona xx