Sunday, August 9, 2009

I am Woman

Today is Womens Day - and I have been thinking of the women in my family those who have gone before and those who are, thank God, still with me. Most of the women in my life were on my fathers side of the family mainly because we were so fortunate to live in close proximity with one another. My paternal grandmother lived with us for about 25 years after our Irish grandfather passed away. She was a person who had gone through very hard times raising a family of four on a blacksmiths wage. Also through a depression which only served to make her a very strong character with ways of making her income stretch well beyond its worth. Living with her was not always easy but if we look back at how she did that miracle we can see lessons to be learnt. I will not yet resort to ironing Christmas paper and collecting every bit of string but..... there are ways of cutting back. My mother was another who through trial and error learnt how to keep three daughters happy and very seldom did we feel deprived. Looking back now of course we know that we did have less in the way of what we wanted but never what we needed. The main thing we and her grandchildren remember is the thing that no money can buy and that is the love she gave without looking for reward. The reward then and now is that we remember her love as a warm blanket that kept us all together when times were hard. I can remember three times when my father was out of work but somehow we never lost our dignity thanks to that strong woman we called Mom. She was and will always be our shining light, our example of loving loyalty especially in hard times. Today I still am blessed with strong women in my much depleted family. I see them as examples of what has gone before. Never, never let the bad times keep you permanently in a bad place. Keep striving as you continue through the dark days. Give what you have love, laughter, happiness and faithfulness. My sisters and niece are the best of women. Loving me in all my loudness without giving up on me. Sure they are going through a lean time but we will be there for one another, sharing what we have to the benefit of each other. These times are a worry for us all but we are strong we will survive. I have loyal friends who continue to love me with love and their friendship, I am blessed. To my family especially my sisters and niece I love you more than you will ever know. To my American granddaughter and great nieces I hope you too will look back one day and see the strength you have inherited to carry you through whatever life throws at you. God bless you all.

2 comments:

Sue said...

You have a wonderful family and your bonds are tight, especially between the women! Thanks for sharing this with us XXX

Louise said...

I know you only as a woman who sees the good, your family are well blessed