Saturday, July 25, 2009

To cook or not to cook?

That might seem to be a strange title but anyone who knows me will tell you that I only cook because I must and not because I enjoy it. There are those in my family who are regularly trying new dishes with great success but I only do the basics which seem to agree with my unadventurous man. If I do attempt anything new it has to look like the picture or I consider it a "flop". I even know of some who enjoy reading cook books in bed at night Oh well I suppose it takes all kinds. Not that I am knocking those who enjoy the above its just not my thing. Now back to the title. When I got married we bought a Defy 420 stove - the Rolls Royce of stoves at that time but after 37 years of daily use the RR is begining to show signs of wearing out. I considered that it was time to buy a new stove but the man in my life proceeded to tell me that everyone who buys a new stove regrets getting rid of the old. I have heard this of course but really thought a new stove would be great. So..... when the light went out in the oven I accepted that it was not always a good idea to see which way my latest attempt was going and accepted the dark side of cooking. When the front plate gave up the ghost I knew I could cope with three so that didn't worry me either. Things steady started going wrong with other parts but the man in my life assured me it only needed a new part so slowly but surely he is rebuilding the RR each time something goes wrong. Things came to a head the other evening when I put a casserole in with foil over the top and as I took it out the foil touched the top element resulting in a mighty flash and noise. After getting myself up off the floor after performing a backward somersault the man came running and I was told it needed a new fuse. He examined the damaged and told that a small hole had been blown in the back of the oven. I always say if a thing is not life threatening why worry? Well the element and fuse were replaced and I happily once again decided to make a casserole using his favourite meat for such, short rib. At 160 I was sure all would be well until going to check a while later found lumps of charcoal at the bottom of the dish. Icouldn't help laughing because cooking now was a real adventure - I never knew what I was going to produce. I phoned my sister to tell her this new event and she said I should make him eat it as charcoal is good for preventing wind. Yes to cook or not to cook, that is the question. Well all seems to be going well at the moment and even if I say so myself I have produced a few good meals lately. I even think I might try something new soon has anyone got any ideas what I could do with Chilli Bovril which seems to have hit the shelves lately - there must be something you can do with it.
Oh, my sister and I had a great success on Sunday last week, we baked a loaf of bread. It cost us under R5 which considering the price of bread now is a bargain. It's easy buy the ready made bakery dough from your friends shop and pop it into the bread tin, let is rise in the warmer drawer, bake in oven for 40 minuts and voila - fresh homemade bread. Nothing beats the smell through the house and that first slice of warm bread and butter. Yummy!!! So all's well that ends well but I'm considering upping my insurance just in case the RR decides to blow something else. Love to you all

3 comments:

Wendy said...

oo I think the oven sounds a wee bit dangerous , but nothing like livi ng on the edge hey? an adventure indeed. isnt it amazing how long the old products last , or maybe it really is worth buying the best you can afford as it lasts and lasts. I am really wanting a bread machine as you cant beat that smell and proper bread. good luck with the tempremental oven xx Wendy

Fiona said...

this was the best post Elenore, it made me laugh till I cried. Fiona xx

Sue said...

That's too funny and I hope you get a new oven soon... Your old one is sounding like a bit of a health hazard at the moment.

I think home-baked bread is the best thing ever, I might even make some with Jake on Sunday.

Haven't seen you in ages, hope all's well.
XXX