Friday, October 10, 2008
Sruprise, Surprise
Yesterday, I tuned into Oprahs (is the thingy in the right place? sister?) programme and it was what I wish I could attend. Her Favourite Things programme - everyone gets things that open shut and make you more beautiful at not cost whatsoever - just scream as loud as you can and the gifts are yours,. Of course I was a bit envious but then I also had a surprise - it was my last Thursday at the Valkenberg Estate Welcome Club where I volunteer and do craft things with patients who have phsychiatric problems. I took along chicken to braai as a farewell lunch and was very upset to hear that "my" craft room was being painted. However, after close on a hour I was at last let in. There were the phsychology students who had been with us for a while, all "my children" the director of Comcare the governing body of the Welcome Club and a grand party with balloons, cakes, cold drinks all that was necessary for a surprise. Oprah could not have beaten the feeling this gave me as I entered to clapping and cheering. What a wonderful moring it turned out to be. Words were read out that one of the patients had written just for me, read by one on the patients I had come to love. I had come to love them all, uninvited they have crept into my heart filled the space left by Andres going to the USA. Sure they have problems, but don't we all? They are people with wonderful personalities just hidden behind a medical condition. They gave me flowers, one member sang a song "I did it my way" which had me bawling knowing I was leaving them behind for three months. Their greatest worry - would I be coming back? It made me think - I'd love to attend one of Oprah give away days - but I realise that not one of her gifts would compare with what I received at my surprise party. I will miss them just as much as they will miss me and I will be glad to be back in that warm, loving place on my return.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
what a lovely story!
Enjoy your trip!
what a lovely thing for them to do for you. It seems its true that in giving of ourselves we recieve so much more.
Post a Comment